It’s Farmer Appreciation Month!
What better time to share some fun facts about our farmer friends?
We all know that farmers are the backbone of the Ag industry and without farmers feeding the world, we’d literally starve. We also all know that farmers are some of the hardest workers in the entire world. And we want them to know we appreciate them very much for their commitment, hard work and dedication. Here are 10 fun facts you may not know about Indiana farmers!
- There are over 94,000 farmers in Indiana.
- Indiana has 56,649 farming operations, with an average farm size of 264 acres.
- Indiana is the tenth largest farming state in the nation.
- Indiana farmers planted 936,000 acres of cover crops in 2017, which is the third highest in the nation.
- There are more than 4.2 million hogs in Indiana.
- Soybeans are one of Indiana’s top ag exports at $1.6 billion annually.
- Indiana is the eighth largest agricultural exporter in the nation, exporting just over $4.6 billion in 2017.
- Agriculture contributes an estimated $31.2 billion to Indiana’s economy.
- Indiana has an estimated 187,000 dairy cows.
- One farmer produces enough food to feed 155 people for one year.
Our farmers are pretty impressive! No wonder they have a whole month dedicated to them. Well done farmers, well done!
Sources: USDA NASS; Economic Research Service; Indiana Business Research Center, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University; National Woodland Owners Survey, ISDA
published on 03/24/2021